My name is Olivier and I am a bilingual Frenchman who has been living in London for almost 30 years with my English wife, Camilla, and our two daughters (17 and 20). In addition to English and French, we also speak German. Over the past 20 years I have worked in the financial industry as a senior risk management executive.
Having experienced full immersion myself when I moved to London in 1995, I understand the challenges and know this is the most efficient way to seriously improve your English. I am a qualified TEFL teacher (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and coach individuals who are motivated to enhance their English skills.
I call it 'coaching' rather than 'teaching' because, for me, it is all about individuals achieving their goal(s) and gaining confidence in using the language. With that in mind, I design customised teaching programmes focused on 1) removing language 'blocks' (fear of speaking, lack of self-confidence, etc), 2) the student's specific needs and objectives, and 3) constant feedback and coached practice. All programmes concentrate on the student's interests (whether personal or professional) and will be taught 'in context'. I believe a solution-focused strength-based coaching approach is most efficient for language teaching. We practice and role play many different verbal and non-verbal communication techniques.
In addition to language coaching, I have a passion for the financial markets (technical analysis in particular), for 'anything related to wine', and for endurance sports. I am a certified technical analyst by the Society of Technical Analysts (STA) and coach technical analysis applied to financial trading. I also hold the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Diploma and I am a presenter at several Wine Societies in South-East England.
We are a very active family of 3 (since our eldest daughter is now at university) and can recommend or take you to exciting places. This is a unique opportunity to discover London and make the most of what it has to offer without completely feeling like a tourist.
I am committed to providing a comprehensive and enriching learning experience for individuals seeking to excel in English.
We only accept one student at a time (an exception can be made if they are a couple).
- Our standard homestay package includes a minimum of 10 hours a week of English lessons. If you are looking for something more intensive, we recommend 20 to 25 hours a week. Any topic can be covered and will be defined in agreement with the student. The lessons can be booked under 'cours à domicile' (General English).
- The standard package also includes two half-days of free 'accompanied' cultural visits to London. Additional accompanied/coached excursions are charged an extra 100 euros for each half-day. Recommendations and advice on places of interest will be provided.
- While most of London's museums are free, students will be required to pay for their own admission tickets to cinemas, theaters, London Eye, etc.
- The student will stay in their own bedroom and have access to a private bathroom. The bedroom has a single trundle bed with an additional mattress, turning it into a double if necessary. It is a sun-filled space due to the large window looking out towards the back garden with views of the London skyline, particularly the Shard. There are two wardrobes flanking a small fireplace, a shelving unit, a study desk, and chair. Free Wi-Fi access.
- Full-board: breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included.
Our family home is a semi-detached Victorian house located in North West London, close to the beautiful Hampstead Heath, a 230 hectare wild park of woodland and meadows where we play tennis, run, cycle, walk, and swim in the ponds. It is ideally situated in a lively residential area (with lots of shops, restaurants, and pubs) but also very central, within 30 minutes of London's main attractions by public transport: Buckingham palace, the National Gallery, St Paul's cathedral, and Tower Bridge.
A typical day may start around 8am or 9am and consists of learning activities centred around specific verbal, structural, and grammatical points. We break for lunch around noon. The afternoon comprises either more language activities or exploring London and its landmarks. In the evening, we will relax and cook some nice food (we love cooking). All meals are shared with Olivier and his family. You will be welcomed as a 'friend of the family'!
From 1130 € / week